In the last couple of years, I was introduced to eyesight challenges, hearing issues, arthritis, and high blood pressure. My aging process included getting an eye lift so I can do a proper shoulder check while driving. My hearing aids have allowed the television volume to go from 59 to 19. Physiotherapy has helped the ache in my arthritic knee. These merely describe efforts to deal with the wear and tear on my body.
Here are some more indicators of the aging process. The newspaper’s obituaries note dates closer to my birth year. Attending funerals have increased. My hubby’s prostate cancer is back. Humor masks my forgetfulness frustration. It is bittersweet to hear our grand-daughter giggle, “Look boys! There’s Great-Grandma Pat. Isn’t she cute?”
Regardless of the clichés such as Age is just a number, some days I find myself muttering Getting older is not much fun, Aging is not for sissies, and I am ready for a nap. I wonder about slowing down.
Then, comes a half day of mentoring an emerging speaker. I come alive. I feel energized. I forget about my discomfort, my poor me song, and my age. No matter what our age, we are at a choice point.
Aging Process Choices
- Age disgracefully, gracefully or gratefully?
- Continue to do what you think you SHOULD do or begin doing activities that energize, excite you and are high priority values?
- Fuss about your neck, or stick out your neck to take a risk?
- Lament your wrinkles, or realize that wrinkle cream is modeled by 18-year-olds?
- Stay with the same old clothes, beliefs, and activities, or buy a thong, read a stimulating book and join a new group?
- Wear the same old clothes or buy a thong? Oh! Forget that one. I tried the thong. Awful! It felt like a large dental floss you know where!
- Watch the aging clock tick, or make good use of your day?
- Focus on what you have not done, 0r check off your bucket list desires?
- Beat yourself up for not knowing it all or celebrate your wisdom, experience, and resilience?
- Quicken your life’s end with nicotine, alcohol, or fatty and sugary foods or ingest sensibly?
- Disappear into other addictions, such as gambling, TV watching or internet, or engage in an active social life that includes volunteering?
- Tell people you are 29 years old when you are 35, 45 or 55 plus, or say I am 95 years old and don’t I look great?
Yes, have some fun with your age. At a minimum, be the best you at whatever age, whatever condition–moving fast or slow. Some younger people are slowed down because of health conditions. At seventy-one I have lasted well. You have lasted, to this point. Celebrate it. Of course, there are ways to make the lasting longer through a healthy lifestyle.
It is a matter of choice–a matter of choosing resilient boosting thoughts and behaviors. May your aging process reflect your thoughtful choices.